Week 2  This week we get the top of the turret.

The bits we received

And what we did with them

The top of the turret was prepared by giving it a good rubbing with sandpaper to key the surface.  Then the hinges and part of the vent were attached with super glue.

(Please ignore the primer in this photo, I was just checking to make sure the scratch marks didn't show in the paint.)

Next the handles and hand wheel were attached to the loader's hatch.  I'm not going to paint or fix the loader's hatch for the moment as we have got more details to be added in issue 4 according to the DVD.

It's worth mentioning that Polystyrene cement doesn't stick this plastic very well.  I tried both Revell's tube and liquid cement on bits of the sprue, and the joints broke quite easily.  Super glue (as mentioned in the instructions) seems to work OK.  Plasticweld & Tamiya extra thin seem to work OK as well.  I don't know what sort of plastic it is, but it's definitely not polystyrene.  I suspect that it is ABS.

Next the top of the turret is primed, both sides.  I note that there are numerous holes, suggesting more details are to be added, but I'm going to have to live with scratching the paint off the glued areas as it will be easier to paint the ivory, mask and then paint the dark yellow now.

After priming, the turret roof was painted ivory.  I used Vallejo Ivory, thinned with Vallejo acrylic thinners and air brushed it.

The roof vent, periscope and periscope cover were painted on the fret, then removed, mould line cleaned up, and the parts touched up.  I painted some masking fluid on the surfaces to be glued before painting them.

Black was used to represent the optics on the periscope.

The ivory paint was masked ready for the dark yellow.

The dark yellow was given 2 coats.

The periscope cover and vent top were added, and the top was given a final third coat of dark yellow.  Here is the turret top after the masking tape has been removed.

I scraped away the paint where the periscope will be fitted.  To mark the area to be scraped, put the periscope in place and draw a line with a sharp knife angled underneath the periscope.  The ends of the pins holding the periscope cover needed trimming flush as well.

You can also see that some of the paint pealed off the legs when the masking tape was removed.  This was the factory applied silver paint coming off the metal.  I'll just touch it up with a brush later, and remember to sand a bit harder in future.  I'll just touch these up with a brush.

Finally, the periscope is glued in place.  You can just see where I scraped over the line, and will have to touch that in with a brush as well.

After much contemplation, I decided that the inside of the periscope would be better painted ivory rather than dark yellow.  I guess it may have been black, but I'm sure it wasn't dark yellow.  I've repainted it accordingly.  I've also upgraded the optics.  This effect was quite simple to achieve.  First I painted the mirror black.  Then mixed a tiny bit of silver with some Games Workshop yellow ink and painted it with this.  Now add a tiny touch of blue ink to the mix and paint this into the top left corner.  It was all wet so it could be blended in nicely.  Finally, wait for it to dry, and paint some neat yellow ink on, leaving the bluish area untouched.

Things not done yet

Issue 2 : Paint & fix the loader's hatch.

Hot tip of the week

It's worth delaying painting parts if you know (or suspect) that they are going to have extra detail added.  It's never a good idea to stick parts on to paint.

Take me back to week 1

Take me to week 3