Week 4  This week we get the pivot and inner mantle for the gun and some tiny etched brass parts to detail the loader's hatch.

The bits we received

Here is a close-up of the brass etched fret. (photographing the parts is going to be a challenge !)

And what we did with them

The pivots first.  If you screw them together and try twisting them you will see that they move round in jumps, and one jump is 36 degrees.  As the gun only pivoted from a depression of -6.5 deg. to an elevation of 17 deg, this isn't very good.  I therefore cut the corners off the pivot so that it would move smoothly rather than in jumps.  I'll just tighten the screw enough so there is some resistance when elevating the gun.
Disclaimer : If you follow my example, do so at your own risk.  (I only feel I have to add this as apparently the law allows stupid people to sue !  Something I would change if I get elected as Prime Minister.)

Photo to follow

The recoil brake cylinders were assembled, and then filler was added to fill the gap.  I used Games Workshop Green Stuff, which I find very good.  You can smooth it down to a good finish with a wet knife blade, which then requires very little sanding.

I also filled the ejector pin marks in the brackets.

Here are the parts after a light sand.

I slipped the recoil assembly over the barrel to make sure it was square when I glued it together.  It's not glued to the barrel and will be removed for painting.

Finally the recoil cylinder assembly is painted and glued in place.

The mantle was primed and screwed in place.  The screws are a bit reluctant to screw home fully.  I found it helped if I screwed the screw in until it went stiff, then unscrewed it and removed any swarf/debris, then try again.  They all went home fully after 2 or 3 goes.  This will be painted dark yellow.

The inner part of the mantle is painted dark yellow on the top and bottom, which is visible from teh outside, and the rest is painted ivory.

You can also see where I've cut the corners off the pivot so the gun will elevate smoothly.

Finally the pivots are screwed in place.

The etched parts

I started with the easy parts.  The guides are simply folded.  If you fold them over the back of a knife blade you get two nice even folds on the two etched lines.

Finally squeeze them together the close up any gap.

The curved arm comes next.  The weld details are bent out with a pair of bending pliers, although you can use a decent pair of smooth jawed pliers.

The holes can be lined up easily by slipping them over a drill shank while gluing them together.

Now comes the difficult bit.  The base of the latch.  I glued a piece of 0.5mm wire into the small holes, and dropped the two parts of the nut over them.  I then applied a tiny (really tiny) drop of superglue to fix them in place.  Work on a piece of plastic bag to stop the parts getting glued to the bench.  You'll notice that the larger rings are slightly askew from the hole.  I didn't notice this until I looked at the photo, and I didn't fancy trying to prise them off to try again.  Sorry that there is no match stick or sugar cube to show the scale.  The squares on the cutting board at 5mm apart.

Now I cut the excess wire off, and filed the tops flat.  This now looks just like the bolt that the screws are fixed to.

The latch itself is also difficult.  The first part is folder like so.

Then bend the remaining side round.  The inside of the recess is simply bent over the back of a knife like the guides were. Then I forced it into its slot with the back of the knife.  It seemed too big, but a bit of a push got it to go in the slot.  The last piece is relatively easy.

Here is the completed latch glued on to the base.

Finally, all the parts glued onto the inside of the hatch, ready for painting.

Here is the hatch painted, and a thin black line added to represent the rubber seal.

Finally it is fitted in position.  I'll touch in the ends of the pins with dark yellow next time I have the paint out.  I think the hatch looking a different shade is a trick of the light.  It looks the same in real life.

Things not done yet

Issue 2 : Paint the loader's hatch : Completed

Hot tip of the week

Think twice, fold once, with the etched parts.  They often break if you try to fold them twice.

Take me back to week 3

Take me to week 5