Week 13  This week we get the aft storage bins

The bits we received

Here is a close up of the hinges (These look like tricky little blighters !)

 

And what we did with them

I'll start with the hinges, as I guess that's what you want to see first.  They are difficult.  The very first thing I did was to sand the back of the hinges to make a rough surface for the glue to key to.  The next thing I did was to cut the fret to keep all four hinges together.  This gives you a bigger piece to handle.

I used an Etchmate for the next stage, but you could use a pair of smooth jawed pliers, or clamping the part between a ruler and a flat, hard work surface.  Place a 0.4mm drill on the tabs, and fold them up and over as far as they will go.  I used a knife blade to slide underneath them and fold them up.

Now release them from the Etchmate (or whatever you used) and roll the tabs right over.

You can now extract the drill and replace it with the brass wire.  

I then had to ease the gap between the wire and the centre of the hinge to create a gap so the centre tab of the second half of the hinge could slide in.

Once it was slid in, I rolls the tab over the wire.  I did find that because the wire has a curve, that I couldn't straighten out, the wire kept popping out of the hinges.  I just concentrated on one hinge at a time.

I then cut the hinge free of the fret, and pushed a bit extra wire through.  Then I cut the wire with small scissors, leave a bit of spare.  

I gave the tabs all a bit more of a squeeze (not too much though) to make sure the wire was held tight, then cut them off flush with scissors.

Finally, I had four hinges, that all worked.  I didn't use any super glue, and to be honest, I didn't fancy my chances of adding any without gluing up the hinge completely.  I wouldn't trust these to stay intact for many operations.  People will NOT be encouraged to open these hatches ;o)

Here's a close-up.  Hopefully the burr you can see from the scissors will stop the hinge pins moving too far.

I've painted the inside of the bin in red oxide primer as I think this is more likely than it being painted dark yellow.  However, I haven't been able to find any references to confirm this.

The bins are assembled with superglue, and then the joins rubbed down.

Next the hinges are added with super glue.  A couple of tips here.  Keep the super glue away from the centre of the hinges.

Make sure your hinges will bend past 180 degrees, otherwise the lid may not shut properly.

I found that the lids didn't really want to shut properly, so I eased the bent over parts so the hinge wasn't so tight.  This meant that I had to apply a couple of very tiny drops of super glue to the ends of the pins to stop them coming out.  To be honest, I'm not sure if working hinges are really worth the effort.

Here is the painted storage bin.  I had to resort to gluing the lids down with a tiny spot of PVA to stop them springing up.  I have left them glued, happy in the knowledge that I know they work, and have got the photos to prove it !

The inside has areas left unpainted for better gluing.

The turret has been virtually completed now (I.e. after week 47) so I've fitted the storage bins.  The rear trunion goes on first.

Then the bins are glued in place.  All fairly straight forward.  You'll notice that there is a colour difference between the turret and bins.  This is due to several different bottles being used at different times.  I will give the whole model a final coat after assembly is fully completed.

Things left to do

Issue 9 : Assemble the turret.
Issue 11 : Paint and fit spare track links.
Issue 12 : Paint and complete the commander's cupola

Hot tip of the week

An old pair of needle work scissors are ideal for cutting brass frets and thin brass wire.

Take me back to week 12

Take me to week 14