Week 36  This week we get a front mud flap

The bits we received

And what we did with them

A tip firstly.  Examine the parts carefully, and work out which way round the go.  Next I folder the brass mud flap covers, making sure that the bends go the right way.  I used an Etchmate tool for this, but you can use smooth jawed pliers.  Note that the edge at the front of the tank is bent past 90 degrees, so that it lines up with the ends of the adjacent sides.

The plastic mud flaps needed a little sanding to get them to fit properly.

Next I gave them a light sanding to help the paint and super glue to stick, and glued the two parts together.

The hinges and bolt are pretty much the same as those on the rear mud flaps.  I've just noticed that I've forgotten the butterfly nut.  

I have decided to glue the mud flap in position.  it's not clear from the instructions whether the flap is supposed to hinge or not.  However, the hinges are small and are glued to the zimmerit, so the chances of getting a good strong glue joint are slim.  You can see I've folded the first half of the hinges and glued them in position.

Finally the other half of the hinges are folded up.  The little hinge wires are added and then the whole lot is secured with a drop of super glue.

The bush was glued in after this photo was taken.  The locating pins needed to be shortened, but otherwise it was straight forward.

Painting will take place later.

Things not yet done

Issue 11 : Paint and fit spare track links.
Issue 19 : Fit ball and headlight
Issue 23 : Paint the radiator covers
Issue 24 : Finish the issue
Issue 25 : Complete issue
Issue 32 : Complete the tow cable
Issue 33 : Complete issue
Issue 34 : Paint tools and fit them to the deck

 

Take me back to week 35

Take me to week 37