Week 97  This week we get the right engine bulkhead

The bits we received

And what we did with them

The bulkhead is painted red oxide and the other parts are painted black.  However, I will paint some of the pipes gunmetal.

Here I've added the parts other than the pipes.  I think these are easier added after the bulkhead is in position, and you can secure both ends at the same time.

I've also picked out the cables in black with a very fine brush.  No idea what colour they would have been, but black seems as good as any.

The bulkhead is glued in place with super glue.  This is much easier without the engine in the way !

Finally (for now) I've added the one pipe that connects at both ends.  The pipe to the engine will obviously wait until after the engine is fitted, and the longer pipe will wait until we have whatever that is connected to.

I decided that I shouldn't have painted the entire length of the covers ivory.  I think they should be red oxide in the fuel tank compartments.  I masked them off and painted the rear ends red oxide.

I also decided that Hachette are almost certainly not going to provide the pipes to connect the engine exhaust to the silencer.  I can't have such an obvious pipe missing, so it's a DIY job.  Not particularly difficult, but takes a lot of time with trial and error fitting.  I used a bit of scrap sprue which seemed about the right size.  This was warmed over a candle flame, and bent as shown.  Each pipe was done in two steps, one for each bend of course.  The technique here is to hold the sprue over a candle flame, an inch or so above the flame, and turn it so that it heats evenly.  When it softens, bend it, and then hold it while the plastic cools.  You can blow to speed this up a bit.  Don't get too close to the flame or it will just melt or possibly catch fire.  I think the fumes are probably poisonous, so do this on your own head.  I didn't get any noticeable fumes off it, but I kept it well out of the flame and only heated until it was just soft.

You'll notice that the two pipes are different.  It takes a fair bit of trial and error.  I threw away a couple of attempts before getting it right.

Cut to length.  Again, lots of trial and error.  You need to drill a hole in one end (about 5mm) to accept the bolt head in the eh rear wall.

These are then primed and painted black.

The engine is just placed in position.  It's not glued yet.

The pipes are glued in place, just to the bulkhead.  This was done while the engine as in place to get an accurate alignment.  A pair of crossover tweezers hold the pipes easily, and the hole in the end of the pipe make it easy to glue in place with super glue.  The engine was then removed so the pipes can be touched up, and the other bulkhead fitted.

Things not yet done

Issue 25 : Complete issue
Issue 32 : Complete the tow cable
Issue 33 : Complete issue
Issue 38 : Paint the parts
Issue 39 : Details to add
Issue 41 : Fit fire extinguisher
Issue 45 : Entire issue : Done
Issue 46 : Entire issue : Done
Issue 47 : Entire issue
Issues 54 to 65 : Fit the hub caps
Issue 88 : Paint and fit parts : Done
Issue 89 : Complete the issue : Done
Issue 91 : Complete the issue : Done
Issue 95 : The complete issue
Issue 97 : Fit two pipes

Take me back to week 96

Take me to week 98