Week 103 This week we get the detail parts for the firewall.

The bits we received

And what we did with them

The rest of the ivory coloured detail are added prior to painting.

I've painted both sides of the fire wall red oxide, and painted the handles black.  I've no idea if this is right, but it looks OK and adds a little bit of interest.

The pouches have been painted Russian Green, with a black strap and brass buckle.

The pouches are glued in place next.

The trim plate is glued to the rear, and the cables picked out in black.

Now the fire wall is glued in place.  Have a practice before actually gluing it as it was a bit tricky to locate properly due to the 6 tabs that all need to be aligned.

The firewall didn't naturally sit tight against the left engine side wall.  However, a dribble of super glue down the gap and holding it in place for a minute soon sorted the problem.  I glued the other side as well, just to make sure it was fixed properly.

I still have a pipe and the fire extinguisher to fit.

Now the fire wall is in place, I can fix the turret drive, gearbox and drive shafts.  Magazine issues 91, 94 and 100 have the parts.

First, the gearbox is fitted in place.  This is simply superglued, and held square while the glue dries.

Now the forward drive shaft is fitted.  Super glue is applied and the drive shaft put in place in the gearbox.  Then you have to drop the turret drive in place and line up the shaft before the super glue goes off.  It's actually easier to do than it is to describe, but have a practice before applying glue.  The turret drive is not glued in place in this photo.

The same method is used for the aft shaft.  In this photo the turret drive has been removed after the shaft was fitted.

Finally, the turret drive is glued in place.

The battery boxes are now fitted.  

The remaining pipe was fitted aft the floor plates were fitted.  Not for any special reason, other than it hadn't been painted.  The floor plate will slide under the bottom of the pipe easily.

The flange was glued in place first.

Then the pipe itself was added.  All quite straight forward.

Finally, the fire extinguisher was painted red and glued in place.  Previously I found that the red paint was quite transparent and took a lot of coats to cover properly.  This time I painted the extinguisher red oxide, and then painted it bright red.  This gave a good result after just two coats.

Looking at the photo, I've got a couple of spots of black to touch up.  They are a lot more visible in the photo than they are in real life.

Things not yet done

Issue 25 : Complete issue
Issue 32 : Complete the tow cable
Issue 33 : Complete issue
Issue 38 : Paint the parts
Issue 39 : Details to add
Issue 41 : Fit fire extinguisher
Issue 47 : Entire issue
Issues 54 to 65 : Fit the hub caps
Issue 95 : The complete issue : Part done
Issue 97 : Fit two pipes : Done
Issue 100 : Paint the firewall : Done
Issue 101 : Fit the trim plate : Done
Issue 103 : Fit the pipe and fire extinguisher to the firewall.

Take me back to week 102

Take me to week 104